The American Red Cross Lifeguard Training Course will certify participants to become lifeguards. The course is designed to teach individuals ages 15 and older the skills and knowledge to prevent, recognize, and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services take over. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will receive certification in Lifeguarding, First Aid, and CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer, and Administering Emergency Oxygen valid for 2 years that is universally accepted for hire.
In order for an individual to participate in these courses they must be able to pass a pre-requisite skills evaluation. The skills evaluation will be administered the first day of the course and includes the following:
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. You may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both. You may use swim goggles.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs. Hands should be placed under your armpits.
- Complete the timed event within 1 minute , 40 seconds (Swim goggles are NOT allowed on this skill)
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards with your face in or out of the water.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object.
- Return to the surface and kick 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point. Keep both hands on the object with your face at or near the surface of the water so you are able to breath. You should not swim the distance under water. Your time stops once you have put the object on the pool deck and you exited the pool without using a ladder or steps.
What to Bring to Class
- Proof of Age
- Proof of Online Course Completion – rounds 1 thru 9 and assessment
- Bathing Suit, Goggles and Rash Guard – optional
- Towel dry clothes, sun block, snacks and drink
- *Please allow 15 extra minutes for parking and facility check-in
Please see our Refund Policy for information on class refunds.